Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Belper Town FC app


First Team - Match centre

Belper Town
Leek Town
Mon 25 Apr 15:00 - Evo-Stik League - First Division South Full time Attendance 185

Belper Town 3 Leek Town 5


It wasn’t the result that manager Andy Carney would have wanted in his last game in charge of Belper Town, but his side gave everything for the cause in a very entertaining end of season clash with Leek Town.

Manager Andy Carney was taking charge of his last game in his three and a half years tenure and was hoping to finish the season on high with a third consecutive victory.

While attention turned to Carney’s successor, another important personnel change had already taken place with new chairman Vaughan Williams having taken over from long serving Phil Varney a couple of weeks ago.

Such has Belper’s form been in the last few weeks that the team has been picking itself although the unavailability of Charlie Weir forced one change with Andy Rushbury coming in for his 294th appearance for the club.

Leek were awarded a penalty in the 2nd minute when Ali Barcherini rushed out to meet Paul Rutter, and although he seemed to get to the ball first, Rutter fell to the floor and the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Barcherini’s vehement protestations came to no avail and earned him a yellow card and Rutter had the final say when he squeezed home the spot kick under the Belper ‘keeper’s despairing dive.

Daryll Thomas made an excellent run down the right in the 10th minute and almost found Jon Froggatt with a great cross to the edge of the six yard area, and as the ball came out to Lee Thompson, he hit a screamer that took a slight deflection over the cross bar.

With Belper calling all the shots in these early stages it came as a blow when Leek went further ahead in the 13th minute when Dan Cope turned and volleyed firmly past Barcherini after being given far too much time and space to execute his effort.

Jon Froggatt struck a low drive just past the far post on 18 minutes as the Nailers continued to take the initiative, and the same player nodded a difficult opportunity into the side netting from a Lee Thompson free kick.

Barcherini saved the Nailers from going three down as they were caught short at the back in the 30th minute, and it was Dan Cope’s overhead kick that wrong footed everyone and Wayne Corden was free to take aim, but Barcherini blocked the shot brilliantly.

Belper looked certain to score in the 35th minute when Darryl Thomas’ shot came back off the post and then Matt Plant’s follow up effort was blocked on the goal line.

Ruben Wiggins-Thomas moved in to head the ball down at the near post but it bounced up and over the angle, and after this play became scrappy towards the end of the half with Leek looking well organised at the back.

The Nailers had a let off in the 48th minute after Devon Gibson slipped past Liam Davis before crossing to the unmarked Dan Cope who then missed the target with a sliced effort past the far post.

Cope did much better with a snap shot two minutes later that fizzed past the upright and at this stage the Nailers had much to do if they were going to end Andy Carney’s reign on a victory.

The task became much harder in the 55th minute when Paul Rutter stretched to toe poke a wayward Cope effort into the net, and the response from the bench was to replace Andy Rushbury and Jamie Smith with Luke Fedorenko and Matty Thorpe.

Paris Simmons (pictured) was introduced minutes later and soon made his mark with a shot from just outside the penalty area that went in off the post on 65 minutes, then a minute later Jamie Haynes tripped Luke Fedorenko inside the area leaving Jon Froggatt to claim his 30th goal of the season from the penalty spot.

But Leek restored a two goal advantage in the 71st minute when Dan Cope snapped up his second goal of the afternoon from close range, questioning the Nailers ability to close the gap again in the remaining minutes.

Devon Gibson wasn’t too far away with a speculative effort from inside his own half and with both sides attacking at will now, there was no lack of entertainment for the crowd to enjoy.

Paul Rutter completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot in the 80th minute after the Nailers conceded a foul just inside the box and the Nailers stepped up their efforts even more to get back into game.

It was proving to be a pulsating end to the season, and there was to be a final piece of drama as Paris Simmons struck a third goal for the Nailers in added on time but it was always going to be too late to have an effect on the destination of the points.

It was a shame that out going manager Andy Carney couldn’t finish on a win but his team’s performances, particularly over the last few weeks at least allowed him to leave Christchurch Meadows with his head held high.

Belper Town: Barcherini, Pride, Davis (Simmons 63), Thompson, Plant, Adams, Wiggins-Thomas, Smith (Thorpe 60), Froggatt, Thomas, Rushbury (Fedorenko 60). Unused subs: Barnard, Carney.

Leek Town: Roberts, Haynes, Johnson, Taylor A, Taylor B, Malbon, Gibson, Miller, Rutter (Allen 86), Cope, Corden Unused sub: Sellars.

Referee: Bob Martin (Sheffield)

Attendance: 185

Match Sponsor: Boxall, Brown and Jones.

Man of the Match. Jon Froggatt

Nigel Oldrini

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division South results

Newcastle Town
Sheffield FC
Market Drayton Town
Loughborough Dynamo
Sutton Coldfield Town
Grantham Town
Spalding United

League table

# Team Pl Pts
12. Lincoln United 42 54
13. Goole AFC 42 54
14. Belper Town 42 53
15. Quorn 42 47
16. Leek Town 42 47
17. Loughborough Dynamo 42 46
18. Market Drayton Town 42 44

Team sponsors


Club sponsors